Alarming increase in the serious physical and psychological conditions such as Diabetes, depression, Stress, Cancer and Respiratory disorders that seem to have plagued the well being of humans in the present scenario is rather a disturbing phenomena which has to be addressed as soon as possible to prevent further deterioration of the quality of the life that we are all yearning for.
But how to address these physical and psychological disturbances lays on how far we understand the root causes that have a laid a strong foundation with deep roots that have started to deplete the soil of healthy life of its quality.
And I consider it, my responsibility to enlighten some of those trapped in this maze of physical and psychological disturbances.
Some of the root causes that contribute to many of the illnesses are:
1) Low levels of physical activity
2) Poor eating habits especially with the palate we have developed for
foods laden with extra fat and sugars.
3) Polluted and unsafe environments
No major disease develops overnight; it is an outburst of the accumulation of wrong events that have been practiced by an individual over a longer period of time, which depletes the body of producing the required antibodies to fight the disease and thus succumbing to it.
The farthest of feasible simple solutions for these root causes are:
- · Making a physical activity a part of our daily lives at least for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- · Having a food journal and observing the kind of food you consume on a daily Basis. For those having a smart phone there are a lot of applications, which make it easier for you.
- · Rather than hogging on high carb snacks slouching on a couch and watching endless thoughtless TV soaps over the weekend, maybe its time to revisit your backyard where your bicycle is buried and start planning a weekend of biking trips.
- · Development of Community gardens where a single piece of land is gardened collectively by a group of people. Though it might not provide us with a wide range of needed vegetables or fruits, it will definitely give us the basic fruits and vegetables that we use in our kitchen daily. The large terraces on the multi storeyed apartments that stand tall cluttering our city is also an ideal place to develop community gardens.
After years of fighting obesity since my college days Life has taught me two valuable lessons that have gifted a ‘Fit Life’
1) No cosmetic treatments can help you maintain health or weight or beauty.
2) Simple active changes to your lifestyle are enough to keep yourselves healthy.
“Rome was not built in a day “. Building a healthy environment is not possible overnight but the small changes we do in our lives and environment we live in, will definitely gift a better healthy environment for a visionary India.
As Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu famously said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step”
So lets take our first step!!!